Last time, I said that Falstaff should feel better because we made a whole episode about him. Since we spend most of this episode mocking him, maybe not.
Like we say in the episode, if you are a fan, please leave us a comment. We have no idea who you are otherwise!
Episode outline after the break:
2. History of Falstaff
1. Minor historical character
2. character in play was originally named Oldcastle, descendants objected
2. pun "knight o' the castle"
3. Possibly performed with Oldcastle, and only changed for publication (prolly not)
4. new name possibly inspired by sir john Falstoff
3. Plays (His story)
1. Presumably made knight somehow, we get very little of his early life, except for the recounting in part II, where he's revealed to be a college wastrel 55 years ago. Must be at least 70 at the time of the plays.
2. HIV PI,
1. At the beginning of hte play, he mentions that he used to be a courtier, (a court layabout) before he knew Hal. He blames Hal for his life of crime.
2. For the course of the play, he goes from a robber to a shameful soldier
1. Still a shameful soldier, he spends much of his time carousing with lowlifes
2. We're promised another appearance from him in HV, but nothing.
4. HV, Death scene recounted.
5. Merry Wives of Windsor
1. legend says that the queen personally asked for re-appearance of F
2. Is MWW still Falstaff?
1. Obviously, yes
1. that's his name
2. Obviously, no
1. he's just an idiot that gets fooled a lot, nothing like the character
2. lots of fans don't count this as part of the character
3. no continuity with his previous story
1. In fact, it's a completely separate timeline
2. He has no association with king, etc.
4. Doesn't have any initiative, could be any generic foolish character
4. His character
1. Not going to say, "is he a good or bad person", just look at the case for each
2. What makes him appealing?
1. Loves to quote the bible
1. Oddly, refers most to the Dives parable, which would fit him.
2. all his insufferable punning
3. his performance as Hal and the King
4. speech about honour
5. I am not only witty in myself, but the cause that wit is in other men
6. Can re-charm Quickly
1. How the world is full of liars!
2. Would the companion were sent a better prince!
3. never backs down in an argument, even when forced to an absurd extremity
4. In Windsor, blandly confesses to all the crimes he's accused of
1. "I will answer it straight; I have done all this: that is now answered."
3. wikipedia quote
4. Hal's "eulogy", "I could have better spared a better man."
3. What makes him such a bad person?
4. physically unfit and grossly obese
5. Complete whiner
6. Tends to monologue
1. Harold Bloom
3. Orson Welles
1. WTF is with these downloads?
1. We've had a compy glitch
2. could people plz comment on the blog, so we know it's not going crazy? Just a "hey, I'm a human being" will be fine.
2. Next ep is Macbeth, we saw it at the Guthrie
6. keep listening.